Tuesday, October 28, 2008

cuffed 501's, she has always been cool...

So , I spoke briefly of my beloved Grams yesterday..and since this blog is really for my kids to read(you know I LOVE everyone else that reads too!!) and soak-in the crazy ramblings of their *Angel-Mother* (brainwashing does a body good). I just HAD to do a post on Grams.. You see she has always been *cool* even as a child I remember her drinking Pepsi from a bottle(we couldn't drink that*evil* stuff in our home:)) So, of-course this act alone made her a "rebel" in my little eyes , she wore an apron with cuffed 501's almost constantly and this short "pixie-boyish-cut"& I don't remember her ever coloring her hair, it was always a shimmer-y, white/gray or ever wearing alot of make-up, but she always looked beautiful... she always had cookies ,raspberry jam, homemade bread, SOURDOUGH PANCAKES in the morning, she would stand at the stove and flip pancakes it seemed for hours ..anything for her grandkids. I mean she would do anything for us....
She taught me and my girls things like the finer art of making pie crust, how to fry chicken, how to "stich in the ditch" ...OH, and her sewing skills... the quilts she has made are priceless objects of LOVE, she taught my brother to golf , she played 9 holes 3 days a week until she was in her 80's...
She has always spoke her mind ...in good ways and I'm sure some would say in bad...(I'm sure at times in my life I would say bad,LOL).
She would also tell you freely of her weakness' and how she struggled thru times of her life, all said with no remorse...and because of that I think I learned that you take the good times with the bad times..They were all just apart of your life.....your story.
She's gone to Arizona in the winter's forever and we used to spend every Christmas there with her and Gramps..I will never smell a grapefuit without picturing one of the greatest loves of my life ..my Grams.
This last spring my Dad took our family to Arizona to all be together and spend a week with her, she isn't doing well and I think we all just wanted to see her and take in all the childhood memories of her house and her..I went around and took picture of every detail...
The 501's are still cuffed.. the hair still pixy-ish and awesome.. Grapefruit trees...smell of *Grams*...
A picture by her TV of my Gramps, gone 13 yrs now, with my girls at Halloween time..
The vanity in her bedroom with all the same old bottles of perfume..
"and I Love her so"...

4 comments:

ramsam said...

This is so sweet! Why does stuff like this make me all emotional? Ugh!

Anyway, I love her in her 501's all rolled up. I never see my grandma in jeans! But she does always smell like Emeraude.

Kristina P. said...

She sounds so sweet! I think she and my grandma would be friends. :)

Just Me said...

I have the opportunity of knowing this awesome lady, too. She is a cool grandma. She was always around to help with everything that was needed in Marie's home when she was growing up. It was a great time for all and everyone loved it when she was coming! She definitely has an unconditional love for her GRANDCHILDREN and other relatives.

I love your picture of her at the sink, Marie. It captures her perfectly!

I hope that you have many more opportunities to be together and to be able to share experiences and that love!

Marie is going to be a classy, awesome grandma someday, too! She has had a perfect example to follow. Love you both!

Mommy Madness said...

Cute in her 501's. What a cool grandma!....You are so lucky!!!!