Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm fixin' to start havin' a crush on Jim Carrey

I think Jim C. might be my new crush ...How can you help yourself when a man talks so "Sexy-Like" about AUTISM...
Jimmy C. your-mmmmmmmmmm- yummy ! BTW, my girl Jenny's book came out this week called "Mother Warriors" I of-course will be posting about it soon..I know-I know your trembling with anticipation... Jim Carrey Says Jenny McCarthy's Son Taught Him a Deeper Love

Interaction with an autistic child can be a challenge even when that child is your own, but when it's the child of your girlfriend there is almost certainly extra pressure involved. That's what Jim Carrey, 46, says he learned upon his first meeting with Evan Joseph, the 6-year-old son of Jenny McCarthy, 35, in early 2006. At the time, Evan was completely non-verbal and steadfastly refusing eye contact -- leaving Jim in uncharted territory. "I'm a guy who's used to getting people's attention when I want it, and I'm pretty good with kids, so it was a little bit difficult and hard not to take it personally, frankly, at times when I tried my best to play with him," Jim recalled during a recent appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show.
"He was focused on something else, and I could have been on fire in the room, and he wouldn't have noticed me."
Undeterred, Jim kept at it with Evan and eventually discovered that children with autism "show us how to go somewhere deeper as far as loving." While the dynamic is decidedly different than what he was used to with other children, Jim feels "we have to take our expectation out of the equation and just be there because we want to be there for them." Even on those days where he seemed to be getting nowhere with Evan, Jim said he felt instinctively that walking away would have been a mistake.
"I knew it was something important in my life. These children, we need them more than they need us. They're here for us to learn."

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Marie, thanks for commenting! I love this post. I find both Jim and Jenny amazing. I don't really agree with her about her comments regarding vaccinations, but overall, she sounds like a very active parent.

Anyway, I will be adding you to my Reader and will start stalking you immediatly!

Marie said...

Gosh, Kristina ..I love when you talk to me like that...
Let the stalking begin!
Marie