Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"Your hair doesn't have to look that way"

She "claims" that's how our friendship started....And actually it probably did..with moi' being hairstylist and-all I knew she didn't have to have "trailer-trash-roots"..(even if Madonna tried to make them look hip). So as we were waiting for our girls to come out of Kindergarten(our girls that are now 18yrs.old)I just walked right up to her and said " YOUR HAIR DOESN'T HAVE TO LOOK LIKE THAT, there is this thing called weaving and you don't get roots like you have, let me fix-ya-hair-girlfriend!" from that day on we have been "soul-friends" you know the kind that you swear you knew some other time in life? We have had so many "life-experiences" together. Her husband John and I found our birth-parents at the same time (let-me-tell-ya-what if that doesn't bond a friendship nothing else will) Dena & John , Hunka' and I , went to adoption-reunion support group together every week for a year... we still to this day laugh about some of the things that went on at those meetings...and we still to this day, 10 years after finding our B-parents can be reduced to "ugly-cry-face" with all the joy, pain and loss we endured going through those times...She & her Mom are always one of the first people at my house with food and concern if anything goes wrong in my life.. They are "apart-of-my-tribe"....
So you can imagine my heart when I got the phone call last week that Dena was going into brain surgery. She had started acting "funny" the day before and then started getting a horrible migraine..She went to the ER and after testing they found a cyst in the deepest part of her brain and they would need to do surgery ASAP as it was blocking off fluids...
My world stopped spinning for minutes while I tried to wrap my head around what was being said ....
It is now Tuesday ...Dena made it through the surgery with flying colors..although a little sad about having her head shaved...(we are SO gonna have to do something about that...I have tricks my friend, I have tricks..never underestimate the "Hotness of a Kick-A- Bandanna"
Everyone thinks she is well on her way to being her awesome self.. She even requested some reeses pieces.. which I will be delivering to her by the truckloads..."baby-gotta-have-reeses"..
These things in life that are "out-of-our-control" always take me back to the book "Tuesdays with Morrie" and the part that says:
“So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.”
I am "awakened" by this trial of my "soul-friend" ...I am re-devoted to my LIFE and others...I love ya Deen......I love ya John...but of-course, you guys already know that huh?! Our prayers our with you...

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Marie, she sounds like an amazing person and an amazing friend. My prayers are with her.

Amander said...

This post is such a sweet tribute to your friendship. I'm glad she made it through the surgery all right. And I have no doubt you will make her look hott again.

slytrifecta said...

I needed to hear that today. It was such a sweet post. Thanks for
putting things back into perspective.

Rychelle said...

sounds like you are lucky to have each other.

Mommy Madness said...

What an awesome friendship you have! Very sweet post.Thanks for share. My prayers and thought go out to her!..