Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Blogging,.. a waste of time??!!


OK...So I have had people say to me..."Why do you BLOG, it's kinda a waste of time, isn't it?"
And if people truly KNOW me ..they know I DON'T do anything unless I am passionate about it..(Truly, I am just ultra-stubborn, I hate to do things I DON'T want to do...And I have OCD, and A.D.D.. so I use the word "passionate" as a cover-up word for CRAZY!)
But let me just tell ya'll why I feel "passionate" about blogging..
It all started back in 1996 when I found my "Bio-Friends".....My Bio-Dad used to keep a journal all-year long with the family's daily activity's and funny things he was thinking in his head(boyfriend nick-names and quiet observations of the kids lives, I clearly get the blogging-gene from him) and I think he gave the journal to the family on Christmas as a present, (Susan, correct me if I am wrong)....He gave me just a couple of pages of an old copy and they have become one of my prized possessions..As I told you my "Bio-sister" had passed away about 18months before I found them and just reading this journal gave me glimpses of my sister was like ...I loved and still love reading this few pages over and over..
Fast Forward to just a year or so back.. One of my BFF/Posse' Amy B. was giving a talk at our church on Sunday about Dad's... her Sweet-Dad passed away about 8-9 years ago(?) and he was a journal writer..She read some passages out of this now priceless-journal. His words were ones of love and wisdom he wanted to give her..ALL these years later, through this journal he speaks to her...WHAT A GIFT...what an AWESOME Dad he must of been to feel strongly about keeping a record of his thoughts...
My own Dad kept a journal in our camp-trailer..He wrote about every camping trip we took, I need to sit down this summer and read through some of them...I am SO GRATEFUL he took the time to do this....
That is what I hope to be doing...keeping this "Blogging-Journal"..
I hope I am creating a "priceless" record of my family's activities, my thoughts, my "happy-moments" , my trials...etc...
So "NO"!!!!.. I say...this ISN'T a waste of time....atleast not in my journal....

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love blogging! I have made so many wonderful connections!

Just Me said...

You ARE leaving a priceless gift for your children. They can participate in knowing how you are feeling and what you are thinking now and then again later as they go back and read through posts.

Besides, anything that helps you work out your own thoughts and feelings is never a waste of time.

It also is really no one else's opinion anywhere so BLOG on, dear Marie, BLOG on!

Just Me said...

I thought I would share a Journal story with you. Pauline Winkler, a teacher at our school for as long as I had been there, suddenly passes away last May. She was a special friend to us all and it has been odd and lonely without her around. As you know, my principal is retiring. Pauline's sister-in-law has been working at the school as a aide. She took the time to read Pauline's journals and pull out excerpts about our principal. She compiled those excerpts and gave them to our principal in a letter saying that she knew Pauline would want her say, too. What a priceless gift that is!

Amander said...

I don't care if it is a waste of time - it's FUN!

trash talk said...

Better to be watching soap operas on TV??? My friends here don't get it either.,..in fact, they don't even read my blog. I do it for me and for the exact same reason you do. How many family stories are lost because they are never journaled. I want my children and grandchildren to remember me as a happy person and this allows me to do that.
And the best part? Why, it's getting to meet wonderful people like you who totally get me without any excuses! How cool is that?
Debbie

Crispy-Fur said...

well. i like keeping up to date with you this way....

delighted heart said...

Those are some good looking strawberries on your header and I love the photo of you and your daughter...So cute! I like half pics of my self best too! And this blog thing...most people around here don't even know what a blog is but I have had the best time getting to meet folks from all over the world like you! My kids are now reading my blog...my 25 year old son cried the other day when he was reading about his new niece. Now that's what I'm talking about...evoking emotion from the kids! I love reading all about your fun times! Keep up the good work!
Patti

Wendyburd1 said...

Blogging was the best decision I have made in a long time! I hope to print out a book copy everytime I hit a year mark!

susan said...

so the journal genetics run deep...my mom was an artist and poet.who wrote in journals and kept them to herself..when she died we all were surprised she had sketched out all manner of things she had sewed for us and poems she had written for years.
I thought to myself ..this was something we both did(I am up to 7 full journals )and it would have brought us closer had I known.
Keep blogging ..it's brave to share your heart..and your children will appreciate your day to day records of your family..Grant's journals had all laughing ,crying along with each days crazy happenings.
He always had a gift for making the days sound more fun and exciting than they really were..
and yes, he bound a copy for each one of us for Christmas,as a surprise.
Thanks for sharing,
Susan

ramsam said...

I know I am a tad late on the commenting here, but when I printed mine last year I cried when I got it. It is so exactly what I wanted, and it is priceless there with my scrapbooks and journals. PRINT YOUR BLOG...you won't regret it. It is my new yearly Christmas Gift to myself.